This page has moved to https://janvanbekkum.wordpress.com/refurbishment-of-our-vehicle/
We installed an airtight box for our two 3 kg LPG tanks. It will get a hole through the bottom. Purpose is to ensure that no gas leaks into the car in case of a failure. In addition we installed a gas alarm on the side of the box.
We kept the Webasto diesel heater, but we replaced the 25 liter fuel tank that could be filled through an inlet at the outside of the car with a 10 liter removable tank, because it was much more space efficient.
We used the best quality vinyl as material for the floor. PVC is even stronger, but as it was impossible to make the floor absolutely flat that was not an option. Putting it in was done by the company that sold the material.
For the couch we use one part of the three mattress parts. The other pieces were made according to our specification.
Wall and Roof Coverage
For coverage of walls and roof we used foam vinyl. It is easy to clean, doesn't collect dust, hides irregularities of the underground and offers a certain level of isolation.
We replaced the two thin original mattress parts with three new tailor made thicker ones. As they don't fit on top of the front cabin when the bed is not in use we use one of the parts for the couch. We kept the slats for the middle part of the bed.
The table is made of 18 mm plywood and mounted on a swinging foot. Its width fits exactly in the aisle. Mounted in a position some 40 cm above the floor it serves to get into and out of the bed. When we are driving it stands upright in the aisle keeping the outside furniture in place.
After having spent about 1,500 hours and an amount of money still to be calculated this is the result.
Cleanup of the Front Cabin and Unwanted Gadgets
When we bought the car it came with a number of gadgets most of which we didn't use or which didn't even work. Lots of additional cables made the electrical system less reliable while the additional parts under the hood made parts of the engine less accessible. Therefore we did the following:
- Removed non-functional cruise control
- Removed heater that produced lots of noise and smoke, but no heat
- Cleaned up wiring of central door locking
- Cleaned up mounting and wiring of tachometer
- Removed voltage meter for starter battery
- Removed voltage meter for service battery
- Removed oil pressure meter
- Removed non-functional oil temperature meter
- Removed poorly functioning rear view camera
- Removed remainders of rear distance alarm
- Cleaned up wiring of one of the spare fuel tank pumps
- Removed duplicate lights left on alarms
- Removed superfluous direction lights, head lights, and reverse light with cables
After this cleanup the vacuum outlet and light relay as well as water hoses and fuel hoses were brought back to their original state. We added a "roof up" and "rear door open"warning light.
Below is a list of the most important suppliers to the project. It will be especially of use to people living around Eindhoven, Netherlands.